[ncl-talk] About Hodograph

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 9 14:41:51 MST 2015

Hi Soares,
The error message:
fatal:["Execute.c":5900]:variable (time) is not in file (infile)
is telling you exactly what the issue is. By examining your input WRF file
you can see that a variable time is not present, but a variable names Times
is. The error message is coming from this line:
time = infile->time

However, note that you do not need to exactly follow the example coding
Amadou pointed you to. You do not necessarily need to read in time, or
wind_speed and wind_direction. (Your file doesn't have those three
variables anyway.) All you should be doing is reading in the winds at the
level you are interested in (either U10/V10  or U/V), choose the grid point
you are interested in, and pass the wind speed and direction to the
 create_one_station_plot function.

wrf_ll_to_ij might be useful to find the nearest coordinate indexes to a
desired latitude and longitude:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_ll_to_ij.shtml

a list of all WRF functions available in NCL is also given here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/wrf.shtml

Hope that all helps. If after modifying your script as detailed above you
still have questions about how to read in and subset your WRF data I highly
advise you to look at the online documention including the WRF online NCL
tutorial and the NCL website:
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/NCL_examples.htm
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrf.shtml

Adam