[ncl-talk] Inaccurate RUC Data Values

Michelle Serino mmserino at tamu.edu
Tue Nov 3 14:15:44 MST 2015

Good afternoon,

I am plotting RUC Analysis data on skew-Ts for the date of June 05, 2009 at
each hour of 2000, 2100, 2200, and 2300 UTC.  I am specifically looking at
the coordinates of 41.147, -104.801.  However, upon plotting the data at
every time step, it appears that things are very wrong.  The values of CAPE
range from 8700 to 11500, which are highly unrealistic.  In addition, the
plotted surface temperatures and dew points (all around 35 C and 27 C,
respectively) do not agree with the observed values, which are all around
19 C and 12 C, respectively.  When I try different coordinates, keeping
everything else the same, those seem to also produce inaccurate values of
temperature, dew point, and CAPE.  On average, there seems to be about a
10- to 15-degree discrepancy in the temperature and dew point temperature
values.

My theory is that is has something to do with the JIRA-2297 ticket that
Dennis Shea filed for me a couple weeks ago.  He filed this because there
was a naming error in the RUC files I downloaded.  I am not positive about
this, though, and would like another opinion.  I re-downloaded the RUC
files after that ticket was submitted.  My script is attached, and the link
to the files I am using is provided below.  I appreciate the help.

RUC files
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yfghn71s4v6k1er/AAD7HuQ8IQgiRsGLSFBKpcMLa?dl=0>

Best regards,

Michelle Serino