[ncl-talk] Point rainfall overlayed over the tearin data

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 3 12:16:45 MST 2015

Geeta,

The "overlay" procedure is for overlaying one plot on another, like
overlaying a contour plot on a map plot, or a contour plot on a vector
plot, or an XY plot on another XY plot.

When you call gsn_add_polyxxxx, this is *not* returning a plot.  It is
simply returning an identifier that represents the primitives that you just
attached to the plot.  You cannot overlay this on a plot, and, you don't
need to because gsn_add_polyxxx actually attaches the primitives to the
given plot.

So, when you call:

plot_stn@$str$               = gsn_add_polymarker
(wks,plot_stn,lon(rf0),lat(rf0),res_mark)

This is attaching the markers to "plot_stn", and now all you need to do is
draw "plot_stn" and you will see the plot and the markers that were just
added.  You need remove the "overlay" call:

plot_stn@$str$               =
gsn_add_polymarker(wks,plot_stn,lon(rf0),lat(rf0),res_mark)
       draw(plot_stn)
       frame(wks)

However, I'm confused by your script, because it appears you are first
creating and drawing some filled contours. You then create a new map and
attach some markers to it and draw that.  Is this what you are trying to
do, or did you want the contours to be over a map, and the markers on top
of that?

I've attached a modified version of your script that:

   - Calls wrf_map_overlays instead of wrf_overlays, in order to create
   contours over a map
   - Sets the special "PanelPlot" resource to True so wrf_map_overlays
   doesn't remove the contours from the map.
   - Attaches one marker to the WRF plot (I used some dummy values since I
   don't have your data file)
   - Draws the final plot.

This is mainly to show how to properly add markers to a WRF plot, if that's
what you are trying to do.

--Mary