[ncl-talk] How to make a NCL script on Mac

Jared Lee jaredlee at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 3 11:30:29 MST 2015

Hi Chao,

It sounds like you're pretty new to NCL. This webpage will be a good
resource for you:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/get_started.shtml

You can create a script using any text editor such as vim or emacs. There
are numerous examples on the NCL website for how to do various tasks:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/

If you do not know how to write NCL scripts, then I suggest that you read
through some of the quick-start manuals and/or go through some of the
tutorials that can be found online:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

There are also various enhancements you can make to your text editor (vim,
emacs, etc.), which do helpful things like color-code various keywords in
your script, and those are documented here:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/editor.shtml

There is a learning curve associated with learning NCL, but it's worth it
to invest the time to learn it. If you have specific questions about how to
do something, it's best first to consult the extensive documentation online
(both on NCL's website and through archived ncl-talk archives that you can
search for on google/bing), and then if you still can't find an answer,
write to ncl-talk with your question:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/Support/posting_guidelines.shtml

I hope that gets you started. Good luck.

Jared

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Wang, Chao <cxw151530 at utdallas.edu> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> My name is Chao, a Phd student from University of Texas at Dallas. I have
> installed NCL on my Mac and run the code by putting them into my Terminal.
> I have known that using script is more convenient. But I don’t know how to
> make a NCL script on my MAC. I really hope you can help me!
>
> Thank you very much!
> Yours,
> Chao

Jared A. Lee, Ph.D.