[ncl-talk] About the NCL editor enhancement - notepad++ auto-completion

马新野 worldwindmxy at gmail.com
Fri May 22 08:49:30 MDT 2015

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have been using the NCL for years. Thanks very much to all the NCL
contributors, because the NCL is very helpful in my research on regional
climate change.

We find that there are many editor softwares such as vim, gedit, emacs,
sublime text, as well as the notepad++, which all have their own editor
enhancements. However, the Notepad++'s enhancement only has the function
of syntax highlighting, not the function of auto-completion, so we
created a file named "NCL.xml" for the Notepad++ to achieve this
function. The "NCL.xml" is generated by a ruby script which is based on
the script supplied by Dr. Li Dong who is also the contributor of
sublime text's  enhancement for NCL.

Our work the "NCL.xml" is the attached to this email. This file has been
updated for the NCL version 6.3.0 and can work for notepad++ v6.7.8. It
provides auto-completion for the NCL, including functions/procedures,
graphical resources, and resource codes.

Follow these steps to achieve the function of auto-completion for notepad++:
1. Please download the "NCL.xml" and put it into the correct position,
for example "D:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\APIs\", and you will
also find there are many other ".xml" files there
2. From the menu bar select Settings -> Preferences -> Auto-Completion
3. Check the "Enable auto-completion on each input", "Function and word
completion", "Function parameters hint on input", "()",""
4. Restart notepad++

Please feel free to contact us for any questions concering the file.
We're looking forward to your response!

Best Regards!

Dr. Ma Xinye and Ge Hui, from School of atmospherical sciences, Nanjing
University, China.(worldwindmxy at gmail.com)

2015-5-22