[ncl-talk] How can I remove relaxation zone cells and calculate statistics from WRF output

mmkamal at uwaterloo.ca mmkamal at uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 14 14:13:36 MDT 2015

Hi Dennis,

Please correct me if I am wrong: your code will give me an output
variable with the same number of grid box with FillValue at the
relaxation zone cells.

I have had a chance to do it slightly other way. Could you please
check my code whether I have done it correctly or make some mistake:

f  = addfile ("/scratch/mkamal/wrfout_d01_2014.nc","r")

;*********************************************************
   conv_prcp       =  f->RAINC(0,:,:)
   non_conv_prcp   =  f->RAINNC(0,:,:)

   conv_prcp       = conv_prcp      > 0.0
   non_conv_prcp   = non_conv_prcp  > 0.0
   total_prcp      = conv_prcp+non_conv_prcp
   printVarSummary(total_prcp)

   x = 224     ; originally 225 grid cell along east-west
   y = 174     ; 175 grid-box along south-north

;--------- Remove relaxation zone cells

  total_prcp_no_rz_cell = total_prcp(9:(y-11),9:(x-11))

  printVarSummary(total_prcp_no_rz_cell)

;--------- assing missing values

  total_prcp_no_rz_cell at _FillValue = -999

;--------- Compute average precipitation

  dom_avg_prcp  = avg(total_prcp_no_rz_cell)

  printVarSummary(dom_avg_prcp)

  print(dom_avg_prcp)

Thanks
Kamal