[ncl-talk] can't seem to make my arrows bigger

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Mon May 11 19:20:09 MDT 2015

Hi Lesley,

I think you've switched your reference vector settings around. You should
be either making vcRefMagnitudeF *smaller* or making vcRefLengthF *larger*.
These act in concert to control the size of the vectors in your plot. Each
actually controls the magnitude and length of the vector in the reference
vector box in the bottom right of your attached image. You'll note that in
this current setting, you would need a wind speed of 2,000,000,000 m/s to
have a vector plotted at that size. In reality, you might want to set
vcRefMagnitudeF to a value somewhere between 10.0 and 50.0. If this still
doesn't make your vectors large enough, reduce the vcRefMagnitudeF to 1.0
and I'm sure you'll see some EP flux arrows appear. You can always check
the max() and min() of your vector field if you aren't sure the actual
magnitudes you are dealing with.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu