[ncl-talk] Plotting climate division and counties at the same time

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Mon May 11 13:05:32 MDT 2015

(please ignore the previous unintelligible post -- accidentally got away
from me)

Hi Ling,

I too did not fully understand your original post and why you were
introducing the  climdiv_polygon.nc dataset. I see the issue now.   As far
as I know, there is no other readily available source of these boundaries
that's guaranteed to line up with NCL's map database.

At first, I thought perhaps overlay plots, using Earth..2 and Earth..3 as
in your original attempt would work. But after trying this, I learned that
map-plot objects can not be overlaid on top of other plots (they can only
be the base plot in an overlay).

I hesitate to even show this second possibility, because it is a giant
hack. But it involves suppressing framing of the page, and drawing two maps
directly on top of each other. All the external annotations (labels,
titles, tick marks, labelbars, etc.) have to be the same in both plots or
the two maps won't line up on the page;  this trick might not work for your
case.

In any event, attached is a script that shows climate divisions for
Colorado along with the county boundary for Boulder county. It uses NCLs
internal database in both case.   It is drawn from the last example
(shapefile_15.ncl) on the following page, and heavily modified:

     http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/maponly.shtml
<http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/maponly.shtml>

I wish I had a better answer...
Rick