[ncl-talk] GRIB2 reading

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Mon May 11 13:02:51 MDT 2015

Hi Debasish,
You are correct that NCL has not been updated to completely understand
the templates for atmospheric chemical constituents and aerosols, and
is therefore misinterpreting this piece of metadata as "generating
process type". Fixing this will require updates to the NCL C source
code and will take a bit of work.
All I can suggest for now is that you look at the relevant table (in
this case it is actually table 2.333 -- AEROSOL TYPE -- see
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/grib2/grib2_table4-233.shtml)
and reinterpret the numbers given for generating process type based on
the entries in that table:

62000 Total Aerosol
62001 Dust Dry
62006 Sulphate Dry
62008 Sea Salt Dry
62009 Black Carbon Dry
62010 Particulate Organic Matter Dry

We will try to fix this as soon as possible.
 -dave