[ncl-talk] enstrophy - triple integral

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Thu Mar 19 11:45:33 MDT 2015

If you have code to do it with fortran, I would suggest using that code.

NCL loses the most speed when performing calculations within nested loops,
and will likely prove to be much slower than fortran for a given task.
Since the "how" of performing an integral varies greatly depending on the
data format, I don't believe there are any pre-built generic NCL solutions.
However, you may gain some insight if you can find the code for the
atmospheric angular momentum function, angmom_atm, in which the
documentation states a triple integral is calculated. Not having a copy of
the source code handy, I can't provide you with that code, but you could
find it yourself if you download the source code or have a developer send
you a copy of the code.

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/angmom_atm.shtml

Good luck!

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu