[ncl-talk] RasterFill plot using RGBA colour map

Kay Shelton kay.shelton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 20:24:31 MDT 2015

Hello NCLers,

(I am running 6.2.0 and 6.2.1)

Should I be able to make a contour plot using RasterFill and setting
cnFillPalette to a colour map with alpha values <1?

I am trying to do this because I need to use RasterFill as I have high
resolution global data that takes an age to plot as an AreaFill contour
plot, but I want the opacity level reflected in the colour bar. The
alternative is to set cnFillOpacityF, however then the plot colours do not
match the label bar very well.

My current result when using RasterFill and the colour map with edited
alpha values is hideously coloured plots, but with required opacity level.
For plots that are not panelled the label bar matches the plot, but is in
hideous colours, for panelled plots the plots are hideous but the label bar
is correct.

Is what I am trying to achieve even possible?

Thanks,
Kay