[ncl-talk] Delete variables in loop before and/or after each iteration. Feature(s)?

Erik Jan Schaffernicht eschaffe at uni-koeln.de
Thu Mar 5 18:12:18 MST 2015

Using NCL 6.2.1:
I run a loop to process several similar netcdf files with NCL.
In this loop many variables are assigned different values/dimensions
during each iteration compared to their state in the iteration before.
This causes errors.

(a)  Is there a ncl delete command that does not throw an error if I try
to delete  variables  that do not exist?    So I can place a delete()
after the beginning of my loop and not only just before the end-loop
statement?
(b1) Many asked it already... but just for the
nice-to-have-feature-list:   a command that tells ncl to forget/delete
after each iteration of a loop all variables that were defined in that
loop during that iteration without mentioning each var explicitly.
     Something like two markers and a trigger:
     "delete all var that are defined from here onwards"
      "delete until here"
    and a trigger command
     "delete all newly defined Var in marked range now"
(b2) a  deleteVarInMostRecentBlock()  which deletes var defined in the
block (block markers like "begin"  "end" exist already)

(c) a deleteAllVar() would be nice as well.