[ncl-talk] ncl where() and keep MetaData?

Carl Schreck cjschrec at ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 25 07:27:27 MDT 2015

You may also have to do printVarSummary( w2&lat ). I suspect it either
doesn't have units or they're not formatted properly.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Walter Kolczynski <
walter.kolczynski at noaa.gov> wrote:

>  Do you get the warnings if you don't have the where statement at all?
>
> Also, check the plots. They may be correct even though you are getting
> this warning.
>
> - Walter
>

> On 24-Jun-15 18:07, Erik J. Schaffernicht wrote:
>
> ___ Using NCL 6.3.0 (2015-Mar) ____
>
> Here is the printVarSummary()output.  First the one before where(w2) is
> executed, second one after where(w2).
> I checked the printVarSummary-output before writing to ncl-talk and as
> they look to me quite identical I did not post them, sorry for that.  Now,
> here you can check them (see in the following).  However, the warnings
> occur even though the printVarSummary()-output looks identical.
>

> Variable: w2
> Type: double
> Total Size: 518400 bytes
>             64800 values
> Number of Dimensions: 2
> Dimensions and sizes:    [lat | 180] x [lon | 360]
> Coordinates:
>             lat: [-89.5..89.5]
>             lon: [-180.. 179]
> Number Of Attributes: 8
>   missing_value :    1e+20
>   standard_name :    sediProbab
>   long_name :    Orography (m)
>   units :
>   years_ago :    21k, Last Glacial Max
>   _FillValue_original :    1e+20
>   missing_value_original :    1e+20
>   _FillValue :    1e+20
>
> Variable: w2
> Type: double
> Total Size: 518400 bytes
>             64800 values
> Number of Dimensions: 2
> Dimensions and sizes:    [lat | 180] x [lon | 360]
> Coordinates:
>             lat: [-89.5..89.5]
>             lon: [-180.. 179]
> Number Of Attributes: 8
>   missing_value :    1e+20
>   standard_name :    sediProbab
>   long_name :    Orography (m)
>   units :
>   years_ago :    21k, Last Glacial Max
>   _FillValue_original :    1e+20
>   missing_value_original :    1e+20
>   _FillValue :    1e+20
>

> --- robust but long method ----
> w2=sediProbab
> w2=where(landAreaFrV .lt. 0.5, w2 at _FillValue, w2)
> copy_VarMeta(sediProbab,w2)
> sediProbab=w2

>     --- possibly shorter way, more convenient approach but warnings occur
> ---
> sediProbab=where(landAreaFrV .lt. 0.5, sediProbab at _FillValue, sediProbab)
>

> The Warnings:
>
> (0)    check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a
> valid latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
> (0)    A valid latitude coordinate array should have a 'units' attribute
> equal to one of the following values:
> (0)        'degrees_north' 'degrees-north' 'degree_north' 'degrees north'
> 'degrees_N' 'Degrees_north' 'degree_N' 'degreeN' 'degreesN' 'deg north'

> Walter Kolczynski, Jr.
> Global Ensemble Team
> [...]

<http://www.cicsnc.org/>
<http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8711-2011>
* Cyclone <http://www.cyclonecenter.org/>*Center.org
<http://www.cyclonecenter.org/>  *Carl J. Schreck III, PhD*
*Research Associate*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC (CICS-NC)
<http://www.cicsnc.org/> /
North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS)
<http://www.cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
<http://ncei.noaa.gov/>
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: cjschrec at ncsu.edu
o: +1 828 257 3140