[ncl-talk] Adding a reference line for third Y axis

Deniz Bozkurt bozkurtd at itu.edu.tr
Tue Jun 23 14:26:00 MDT 2015

Hi all,

I am using “gsn_csm_xy3” function to have an XY plot with three
different Y axes (figure is attached). A horizontal reference line is added
by “gsnYRefLine” resource for the right Y axis with these lines:

resL at gsnYRefLine   = 0
resL at gsnYRefLineColor = "forestgreen"
resL at gsnYRefLineThicknessF = 1.0
resL at gsnYRefLineDashPattern = 0

When I simply try to add another reference line for the rightmost Y axis
with following lines, I am receiving “warning:TransformPostDraw:
tfPolyDrawList element 0 is invalid”:

resM at gsnYRefLine   = 0
resM at gsnYRefLineColor = "red"
resM at gsnYRefLineThicknessF = 1.0
resM at gsnYRefLineDashPattern = 0

What I have understood from NCL mailing archive, this warning message is
related with multiple calling of “gsn_add_xxxx” functions. However, I
don’t have any idea why NCL does not draw the reference line for the
rightmost Y axis for this case. I could probably draw it by using
“gsn_polyline” but I would be pleased if anyone suggests a way to do it
with “gsnYRefLine”.

NCL: 6.2.0

Thanks in advance,

Deniz