[ncl-talk] get index for A associated with B

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Wed Jun 10 14:18:11 MDT 2015

Take look at get1Dindex linked below.  It should do what you want. Below
are a few quick example lines I threw together to get the matching indices
for both A and B.

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/get1Dindex.shtml

e.g.

A = (/1990,1997,1999,2002,2005,2010/)

B = (/1993,1997,2002,2004/)

A_ind = get1Dindex(A,B)        ;; array size B of where A is in B, Fill if
not in B
A_ind_nm = A_ind(ind(.not.ismissing(A_ind))) ;; get rid of missing elements
Ca = A(A_ind_nm)                 ;; probably want an error check in case
there are no overlaps.

B_ind = get1Dindex(B,A)        ;; array size B of where A is in B, Fill if
not in B
B_ind_nm = B_ind(ind(.not.ismissing(B_ind))) ;; get rid of missing elements
Cb = B(B_ind_nm)                 ;; probably want an error check in case
there are no overlaps.

Gd Luck.

Alan.