[ncl-talk] How to Make NCL throw an error?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 27 15:45:10 MDT 2015

Hi Walter,

Sorry if somebody already responded to this.

In general, NCL is supposed to give you a line number where it fails.

Can you be more specific about what the error message is?  Perhaps there's
a way we can improve it.

There is one particular warning that shows up now and then, that I find
frustrating because it doesn't give you a line number:

     Argument N of the current function or procedure was coerced to the
appropriate
     type and thus will not change if the function or procedure modifies
its value

In this case, I will comment out the "begin" and "end" statements, if any,
and rerun the script with "ncl -x". This causes every line to be echoed to
standard out as you execute it, and hence you can see where the warning
occurs.

--Mary