[ncl-talk] Core dump with ARPEGE Resolution 40 grib file

Nicolas GASNIER ngprod41 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 12:05:46 MDT 2015

Hello NCL users,

I'm trying to plot Meteo France's free resolution 40 ARPEGE grib files
with NCL but get some trouble.

The data resolution is 2.5deg and there is one file per variable every
24 hours.
I can get file information with ncl_filedump (see example output at the
end of this mail).

If I try to read the variable (eg PRMSL_GDS0_MSL) in the file, NCL crash
with a core dump :

begin
     fin_pres = addfile("24_PRESSURE_REDUCED_TO_MSL_.gr","r")
     prmsl = fin_pres->PRMSL_GDS0_MSL ; this line core dump
end

It crashes only when reading the gridded variable, I have no problem
with coordinate variables (eg g0_lat_0).

I tried with NCL 6.2.0 and the latest 6.3.0 with same issue. I'm working
on ubuntu 14.04. Seems not a ressource problem, as I can work with much
bigger files without having any issue.

I joined an example file and very basic script.
Maybe the file is corrupt in some way, or is there a bug in NCL ?

Thank you for any advice.

Dear regards

Nicolas Gasnier

Example output of ncl_filedump :

Variable: f
Type: file
filename:    24_PRESSURE_REDUCED_TO_MSL_
path:    24_PRESSURE_REDUCED_TO_MSL_.gr
    file global attributes:
    dimensions:
       g0_lat_0 = 73
       g0_lon_1 = 144
    variables:
       float PRMSL_GDS0_MSL ( g0_lat_0, g0_lon_1 )
          center :    French Weather Service - Toulouse
          long_name :    Pressure reduced to MSL
          units :    Pa
          _FillValue :    1e+20
          level_indicator :    102
          gds_grid_type :    0
          parameter_table_version :    1
          parameter_number :    2
          forecast_time :    24
          forecast_time_units :    hours
          initial_time :    07/18/2015 (00:00)

       float g0_lat_0 ( g0_lat_0 )
          long_name :    latitude
          GridType :    Cylindrical Equidistant Projection Grid
          units :    degrees_north
          Dj :    2.5
          Di :    2.5
          Lo2 :    357.5
          La2 :    -90
          Lo1 :     0
          La1 :    90

       float g0_lon_1 ( g0_lon_1 )
          long_name :    longitude
          GridType :    Cylindrical Equidistant Projection Grid
          units :    degrees_east
          Dj :    2.5
          Di :    2.5
          Lo2 :    357.5
          La2 :    -90
          Lo1 :     0
          La1 :    90

Name: 24_PRESSURE_REDUCED_TO_MSL_.gr
; Author : Nicolas GASNIER
; Contact : ngasnier at orange.fr

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/skewt_func.ncl"