[ncl-talk] How to plot tropopause height with units in hPa.

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 16 15:16:49 MDT 2015

Hi Chang,
As you likely know there are numerous height/latitude examples here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/height_lat.shtml

If you want to overlay a zonal mean on top of a height (Y-axis) by latitude
(x-axis) plot I would recommend creating each plot separately, and then
using gsn_add_annotation to add the zonal mean plot to the height/latitude
plot.
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/annotate.shtml

You will have to work on getting the *amJust*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/am.shtml#amJust>,
*amOrthogonalPosF*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/am.shtml#amOrthogonalPosF>
and *amParallelPosF*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/am.shtml#amParallelPosF>
settings correct, but it should be quite possible.

Using the overlay function may be another possibility but I do not believe
that will work as your two plots do not share the same Y-axis coordinate
values (pressure vs. U-wind values).

Hope that helps. If not or if you have any other questions, please respond
to the ncl-talk email list.
Adam

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Xi Chang <xi.chang01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi NCL,
>
> I have zonal mean tropopause height data H (units: hPa) as a function of
> latitude (-90:90). How could I plot this values by using "gsn_csm_pres_hgt"
> function, so that I can overlay them with zonal mean wind U data.
>
> Thanks for any hints.
> Chang

Adam Phillips