[ncl-talk] ESMF-Regrid Large Files (> 4 Gb)

Gabriele Arduini Gabriele.Arduini at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Thu Jul 16 08:44:32 MDT 2015

Dear ncl-support,

I am trying to regrid a large high-resolution dataset (7200 lat x 7200
lon) on a coarser resolution grid using
the ESMF_regrid tool.
Everything is going well, but during the weight generation (that takes a
huge amount of time...)
I receive this error::

(0)	--------------------------------------------------
(0)	ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: the following command is about to be
executed on the system:
(0)	'ESMF_RegridWeightGen --source source_grid.nc --destination
dest_grid.nc --weight weight_file --method patch --src_regional
--dst_regional -i'
(0)	--------------------------------------------------
(0)	ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: output from 'ESMF_RegridWeightGen':
(0)	      Starting weight generation with these inputs:
(1)	        Source File: source_grid.nc
(2)	        Destination File: dest_grid.nc
(3)	        Weight File: weight_file
(4)	        Source File is in SCRIP format
(5)	        Source Grid is a regional grid
(6)	        Source Grid is a logically rectangular grid
(7)	        Destination File is in SCRIP format
(8)	        Destination Grid is a regional grid
(9)	        Destination Grid is a logically rectangular grid
(10)	        Regrid Method: patch
(11)	        Pole option: NONE
(12)	        Ignore unmapped destination points
(13)	        Norm Type: dstarea
(14)
(15)	     NetCDF Error: weight_file : NetCDF: One or more variable sizes
violate format constraints
(16)	      ERROR: Problem on processor            0 . Please see the
PET*.RegridWeightGen.Log files for a traceback.
(0)	ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: 'ESMF_RegridWeightGen' was not successful.

I understand the error ( my dataset is too big being written in NetCDF-3
file --> 7200 * 7200 * 8 > 4Gb), but I don't know how I can resolve it.
Looking on the web, I saw that you had similar problems in the past.
Does a solution exist?

Thank you in advance for your precious help.
Regards,
Gabriele Arduini