[ncl-talk] Add polyline, polygon, and polytext to a map generates two PNG files.

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 14 12:32:32 MDT 2015

Hi Wei,
I have created a sample test script that draws a blank map, and adds a
polyline, polymarker, and some text to a specific location on the map. I've
attached the script and resulting png.

Note that with all the gsn_add_* functions you have to keep the resulting
output array from the gsn_add_* functions. From the gsn_add_polyline
documentation:

"The value(s) returned from this function must be assigned to a unique
variable. This is necessary so that the polyline(s) "live" for the duration
of the NCL script. This is especially imperative if the call to
*gsn_add_polyline* is inside a function or procedure."
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_add_polyline.shtml

In my test script I assigned the output to dum0, dum1 and dum2. I could
have created an array: dum = new(3,graphic) and assigned the output to
dum(0), dum(1) and dum(2).. Either way, I cannot delete or overwrite the
output arrays (dum or dum0, dum1, dum2)..

Hope that all makes sense!
Adam