[ncl-talk] Add polyline, polygon, and polytext to a map generates two PNG files.

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 14 12:07:26 MDT 2015

Hi Wei,
It depends on what functions/procedures you are using to draw your
polylines/markers/text.. In all cases you should set gsnFrame = False in
your res resource list.

I prefer the gsn_add_* suite of functions to do what you are doing as it
allows paneling. For those functions you also need to add gsnDraw = False
to your res resource list.

If you are just using gsn_text/gsn_polygon/gsn_polygon you can get away
with not setting gsnDraw as is shown in polygon example #8 here:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/polyg_8.ncl

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Wei Huang <whuang at univ-wea.com> wrote:

> I am trying to add polyline, polygon, and polytext to a map, steps as
> below:
>
>   res = ...
>   wks = ...
>    map = gsn_csm_map(wks, res)
>
>  ;add lots of polylines, polygons, and polytexts to map
>
> draw(map)
>  frame(wks)
>
> It generates two PNG files. With the first just a map.
>
> How can I remove the first blank map?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wei Huang
> whuang at univ-wea.com