[ncl-talk] NCL and Sphinx?

Walton, Jeremy jeremy.walton at metoffice.gov.uk
Thu Jul 9 06:55:37 MDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm working with colleagues at DLR on ESMValTool<http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/ESMValTool/>, a package for evaluating the output of Earth System Models.  Many of its diagnostics are written in NCL (as well as Python and R), and I'm currently exploring the possibility of using the Sphinx<http://sphinx-doc.org/> documentation tool to document those functions - perhaps using Sphinx's ability to pull out marked-up comments from the code and translate them to pdf, linked webpages, etc.  There are lots of examples on the web of Sphinx being used in this way for Python scripts, but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried it for NCL scripts?

Any ideas or pointers elsewhere would be much appreciated - many thanks indeed.

Jeremy

Dr Jeremy Walton
Scientific Systems Manager
UK Earth System Model Core Group