[ncl-talk] Question about new formatted FNL data reading

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 28 12:13:46 MST 2015

This simply means that there is a parameter in your file that the
current version of NCL's GRIB2 code tables does not recognize. The
data is still available but the name will be start with VAR_2_0_21 (or
something close to that). There is not actually a 4.2.2.0.0.table
(there should only be 4 numbers separated by dots) so I am guessing
that you mistyped the message. If you meant 4.2.0.0.table then
parameter 21 is "Apparent Temperature" with units of 'K'. This
parameter was added recently and will be in the next version of the
code tables.

Anyway this error does not mean anything is wrong with your code or
with NCL -- only that the code tables are not quite up-to-date in your
version of NCL.
 -dave