[ncl-talk] problem with x11 window

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 26 13:37:16 MST 2015

Hi David,
I am seeing something similar with X11 windows on my new CentOS machine.
The plots don't show up in their entirety. However, if I pull a separate
window over the X11 window, and then bring the X11 window back to the
foreground, I can see the entire plot. Weird. The problem is not exclusive
to NCL either; I also have this issue with X11 windows in grads.

So hopefully that could be a work-around for you until a solution is found..
Adam

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> We've heard of at least one other instance of this problem on Ubuntu. As
> Alan mentions, it was pervasive under XQuartz for a while, and it was
> fundamentally an X11 server issue that was ultimately fixed by the XQuartz
> people. Why Ubuntu now, and why not other Linux distros is a huge mystery
> at this point. Unfortunately, we don't have access to an Ubuntu machine, so
> we don't know if its the same issue as under XQuartz, and thus nor do we
> have a patched binary similar to ncl.xq.fix that Alan mentions.
>
> I don't really have a good answer for you. We can perhaps up the priority
> on getting an Ubuntu box in place that we can test on.
>
> The ncargex issue is unrelated. If being able to use ncargex is important
> to you, let me know.
>
> Rick
>
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 2:15 PM, David Craig <dcdavemail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Not sshing on a mac or otherwise. Installed 6.2.1, should also have
>> mentioned that after install the following test,
>>
>> ncargex cpex08 -clean
>>
>> gave the error below,
>>
>> NCAR Graphics Fortran Example <cpex08>
>>
>> Copying cpex08.f
>>
>> Copying cpexcc.f
>>
>> Compiling and linking...
>> gfortran -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -fopenmp -O -o
>> cpex08 cpexcc.f cpex08.f -L/home/davcra/ncl/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lncarg
>> -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lX11 -lXext -lcairo -lfontconfig -lpixman-1
>> -lfreetype -lexpat -lpng -lz -lpthread -lXrender -lbz2
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcairo
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfontconfig
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpixman-1
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfreetype
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lexpat
>>
>> The compile and link failed.
>>

>> On 24/01/15 21:05, Alan Brammer wrote:
>>
>>  --Sorry for the double mail David, forgot to cc ncl-talk.
>>
>>  Are you sshing in from a Mac?  Sounds similar to the problems I used to
>> have.   In which case it may be the below.    If not,  the next question
>> will be which version of ncl did you install?
>>
>>  Below taken from the release page.
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml
>>

>>    - There is a bug in Apple's new XQuartz windowing system that causes
>>    NCL's cairo X11 window to not display properly on Mac systems running MacOS
>>    10.8 or later, or on Macs that have been upgraded to use XQuartz 2.7.x as
>>    the default X11 window system.
>>
>>    *Note: as of November 10, 2013, this bug has been fixed by XQuartz.
>>    You need to download and install version 2.7.5
>>    from http://xquartz.macosforge.org/ <http://xquartz.macosforge.org/>. Be
>>    sure to kill any old XQuartz servers that are still running.*
>>
>>    If you can't upgrade your XQuartz for some reason, then a work-around
>>    is to use "ncl.xq.fix". You must use this executable in place of "ncl":
>>
>>      ncl.xq.fix myscript.ncl
>>
>>    If this seems to fix the problem, then you can make this your default
> [...]

Adam Phillips
Associate Scientist,  Climate and Global Dynamics Division, NCAR