[ncl-talk] Problematic when changing color palette in the wrf_contour function

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 20 12:36:36 MST 2015

Hi Lisi,

In general, with the new way of doing color in NCL V6.2.0 and later, we
recommend that people use "cnFillPalette" and not "cnFillColors".

I know this is confusing for people using the wrf_xxx functions, because
internally, I think these functions may still be trying to use the old way
of doing color.

A quick fix for you is to try:

cmap = read_colormap_file("BlWhRe")
  cmap_r = cmap(::-1,:)

        opts at gsnSpreadColors = False
        opts at cnFillPalette = cmap_r
        delete(opts at ContourParameters)
        opts at ContourParameters = (/ -150., 150., 10. /)
        contour_pbl_diff = wrf_contour(pbl_irri,wks,pbl_ir-pbl_no,opts)
        plot(2) =
wrf_map_overlays(wrf,wks,(/contour_pbl_diff/),pltres,mpres)

When you use cnFillPalette, this will automatically span the full colormap,
unless you set cnSpanFillPalette to False. By also setting gsnSpreadColors
to False, this effectively turns off the "old" way of doing color in the
internal WRF routines.

--Mary