[ncl-talk] Ingesting HRRR grib2 files into ncl_convert2nc

Todd Mitchell mitchell at atmos.washington.edu
Thu Feb 26 10:00:13 MST 2015

Greetings,

I am using NCL 6.2.1 on a LINUX machine, and I would like to use
ncl_convert2nc to convert a grib2 file of High Resolution Rapid Response
(HRRR) model data into netCDF.

The error messages I get are
fatal:NclGRIB2 Invalid Product Definition Template
fatal:Could not open (./a.grib2)

We have our gribtables installed at
home/disk/sys/local/linux64/ncl_ncar-6.2.1/lib/ncarg/grib2_codetables

The necessary gribtable, NclGRIB2 I presume, isn't there.  I went to
http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/ and, on the left sidebar, there are
collection of grib tables appropriate to the HRRR data.  Our IT people
installed those tables in a directory called
home/disk/sys/local/linux64/ncl_ncar-6.2.1/lib/ncarg/grib2_codetables/hrrr
and ncl_convert2nc still complains.  They gave the gribtable for the
"native" grid data that I am using the name GRIB2Table_hrrr_nat.table

The questions are how do I make it so that NCL finds this gribtable and
associates it with whatever code there is in my grib2 file that specifies
the gribtable?

I realize that this query is more appropriate to ncl-install.  I submitted
a request to get on the ncl-install email list on Tuesday.  I haven't heard
back yet, so I am hoping that some of the ncl-install participants also
read this email.

Thank you !