[ncl-talk] Finite element mesh plot

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 17 12:47:53 MST 2015

Hi Ivica,

I apologize that the new cell-fill capabilities have not yet been
fully documented.

Non-rectangular CellFill currently requires that the data value be
given for the center of the cell while the coordinates represent the
vertices of the cell,
given, as stated by the error message, using the sf[XY]CellBounds resources.

I am attaching an example where a plot is generated from a triangular
mesh given using data points defined at the locations of the
triangular vertices along with an element adjacency array similar to
what your data set appears to contain. This script generates the data
value for the center of the cell as a simple average of the values at
each vertex. Obviously more sophisticated approaches that involve
finding the actual center of each triangle are possible.

If this example does not align well enough with your needs, let me know.
 -dave