[ncl-talk] Animate_1.ncl doubt

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 13 10:21:44 MST 2015

Sebastián,

First, make sure you are typing "idt" and not "Idt". The "idt" command is
included with the NCL software, so you should have access to it.  If you
type:

which ncl
which idt

it should report finding both of these commands in the same directory.

My suggestion is to perhaps *not* use NCGM as your output format, but
instead use "eps" or "ps" and then use one of many tools available for
converting a PS file to an animated GIF or MPEG, depending on what you
want. Here's how you would use the "convert" tool, which is part of the
free ImageMagick package to convert a series of EPS files to an animated
GIF:

   convert -delay 50 *.eps anim.gif

The second example "animate_2.ncl" shows how to do this. You should also
read our FAQ on this topic:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#o_formats_008

Hopefully some NCL Talkers out there will have other ( maybe better)
suggestions for creating animations.  There are lots of ways to do this,
and it just depends on what format and quality you need.

--Mary