[ncl-talk] loop memory issue

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 9 20:08:08 MST 2015

Hi David,

Glad you found a solution.

When you put (/ and /) around an array on the right side of the "=" and
then assign this to a variable, this tells NCL not to copy any metadata.

This can save some time, but I'm not sure how it saved that much time in
your case, because it doesn't look like this particular line is inside a
"do" loop. See the "hscopy.ncl" script that I attached, that shows the
timings from copy metadata versus not copying it.

The times I got were not that different:

Elapsed time for full metadata copy = 0.164273 CPU seconds.
Elapsed time for no metadata copy   = 0.163253 CPU seconds.
Perhaps you can insert some similar timing calls in your code to find out
where some other culprits might be. This won't necessarily address the
memory issue, but it might help see where you are spending a lot of time,
and then you can see if this is also memory intensive.

Is there more to this script than what you cut-and-pasted in the original
email?

--Mary