[ncl-talk] ERROR in PostScript file

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 9 13:52:47 MST 2015

Hi,

Curiously, whether or not the .eps displays correctly seems to depend on
what is doing the rendering. It displays fine within my browser window, and
with the Mac's Preview.  It is mis-drawn under anything that leverages
ghostscript (which is virtually every ps/pdf viewer on a Linux machine), in
what I assume you mean by "incomplete". I'm not sure what to suggest here
-- unfortunately none of the viewers that fail issue meaningful error
messages.

As for the SEGV with a long file name, I checked in the obvious places for
limitations on pathname, to no avail (your example clocks in at 290
characters).  It might help me if you could run strace (assuming  Linux),
and send me the last 200-ish lines it reports; e.g.,

   strace ncl _name_of_your_script_

In the meantime, a kludgy work-around might be to create a link to your
file or its directory much higher up in the directory path, in an effort to
shorten the pathname you give to NCL. Does that make sense?

Rick