[ncl-talk] loop memory issue

David Craig dcdavemail at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 06:25:08 MST 2015

Hi,

I have a loop in NCL that randomises an array and preforms some
operations on the result. However, it seems to be using too much memory
and I don't understand why as all variables are preallocated. Does
anyone know what the problem is, code is below.

thanks,

David

   n = 1000
   rand_HS = HS_reorder(:,:,1:)     ; size 317x720x240
   dms = dimsizes(rand_HS)
   m = dms(2)
   ; preallocate array for maximum coefficient values
   max_rand_ccr = new(n,float)
   i = 0

   do while(i.lt.n)
     j = 0

     do while(j.lt.m) ; loop through time

       ; randomise in space
       ix = generate_sample_indices( dms(0), 0 )
       iy  = generate_sample_indices( dms(1), 0 )
       rand_HS(:,:,j) = rand_HS(ix, iy, j)

       j=j+1
     end do

     ;calculate max correlation coefficient
     max_rand_ccr(i) = max(abs(escorc(data2,rand_HS)))
     i=i+1
   end do