[ncl-talk] Plotting trajectories from CF-1.6 discrete sampling geometries

Heiko Klein Heiko.Klein at met.no
Fri Aug 28 13:40:15 MDT 2015

Hi Dennis,

thanks for the answer. Concerning the examples: Chapter H of the
convention has a nice set for each array. Otherwise does the netcdf-java
library have some cdl-examples:
https://github.com/asascience-open/CFPointConventions/tree/master/trajectory

If there aren't any existing helper functions, I think I will stick to
the 'Orthogonal multidimensional array' since this is straight forward
to read, even if it wastes some space.

Heiko

On 2015-08-28 14:54, Dennis Shea wrote:
> The core NCL developers will have to answer to get a definitive answer.
>
> Numerous NCL graphical functions are COARDS/CF-convention aware.
> For sure,  there is no 'awareness' of the convention you mention.
>
> [1] "it should be easily readable by NCL."
>
> I see no reason why NCL could not read the variables. If they are
> written by the netCDF software, why could they not be read?
>
> [2] "Does NCL have some function to decode the discrete sampling
> geometries described in CF-1.6?"
>
> There is no explicit functionality that I am aware of. However, I
> think an NCL-based library could be created and distributed with NCL.
> The issue is .... Who creates and supports the library? Personally,
> this is the 1st time I have seen the convention you mentioned.
>
> Orthogonal multidimensional array
> Incomplete multidimensional array
> Contiguous ragged array
> Indexed ragged array
> etc
>
> Examples?
>
> Cheers
>

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein at met.no> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're currently defining a netcdf format for storing our trajectories
>> and consider CF-1.6 'Discrete Sampling Geometries' as a good basis to
>> write the data:
>> http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.6/build/cf-conventions.html#discrete-sampling-geometries
>>
>> Since we would like to plot the data later, too, it should be easily
>> readable by NCL. Does NCL have some function to decode the discrete
>> sampling geometries described in CF-1.6? I guess the 'orthogonal
>> multidimensional arrays' just works since all the data is in
>> standard-arrays. What about the other representations?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Heiko

Dr. Heiko Klein                   Norwegian Meteorological Institute
Tel. + 47 22 96 32 58             P.O. Box 43 Blindern
http://www.met.no                 0313 Oslo NORWAY