[ncl-talk] Fwd: Problem with regrid from GFS to WRF regional grid using rgrid2rcm

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:00:58 MDT 2015

Hi Andrew

[0]
Overall comment: the rgrid2rcm uses a simple, brute force algorithm.
If the interpolation is a bit slow then the ESMF regridding may be a
better lon term solution. Once thye weight files are generated and
saved to a netCDF file, they can be used to quickly perform
interpolations.

[1]
Most operational style models (NCEP, ECMWF, JRA) are ordered N->S. The
 rgrid2rcm requires that the input grid be ordered S->N. If the model
grid is N->S, try

   slp1     = a->PRMSL_3_MSL
   printVarSummary(slp1)                     ; look at 'lat' coord variable
   slp1     = slp1(::-1,:)                           ; reorder
   printVarSummary(slp1)                     ; look at 'lat' coord variable

   all the rest should be the same

[2]
ftp the GRIB file and the target WRF file, we could likely generate an
ESMF example.

ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
anonymous
email
cd incoming
put ...
put ...
quit

Since we can not look at /ftp/incoming for security reasons, send us
the exact names of the files after a successful transfer