[ncl-talk] help

Jack Ogaja jack.ogaja at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 07:50:52 MDT 2015

Your script is producing a replicated plot because you have reduced the size of time dimension to 1 in the lines,

           u1=u(1,:,:)      ;dimension reduction
           v1=v(1,:,:)

You can use the function “clmMonTLL”: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/clmMonTLL.shtml <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/clmMonTLL.shtml> to calculate the long term monthly means of the wind fields. From the number of time steps it looks like the period of your data is from Jan 1948 to July 2015, however, “clmMonTLL” require time dimension in multiples of 12. You can decide to reduce the period to, for example Jan/July 1948-2015. If you have to utilize the entire period, I guess it is also possible to extend your code and forget about the function altogether.

To use the function you can remove the above two code lines and do something like,

       load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/contrib.shtml>” ;<=== Remember to load this
       begin
           mnU=clmMonTLL(u)
           mnV=clmMonTLL(v)
           wspdAv=sqrt(mnU^2+mnV^2)
           …
           plot(i)=gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_ce(wks,mnU(i),mnV(i),wspdAv(i),vcres)
           i=i+1 ;<=== This should come after the plot function

I hope that helps.

Jack