[ncl-talk] Fwd: Could I add some FillPatterns effect suchasobliquelines to a raster fill plot ?

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 25 13:25:47 MDT 2015

Hi Lin,
I have come to the same conclusion that you have: That there are not enough
grids for this method to effectively work. Previously this method has
worked well on much larger grids but at this scale it is obviously not
working. I have a test script that I passed on to a NCL developer for them
to look at, but I am not hopeful. It looks like the only method that would
work would be to make repeated targeted calls to gsn_add_polyline.

To answer your question, you are passing in 3 lons and 19 lats, and the
input sizes of those two arrays must be the same when using gsn_add_text.
Try this:

txres               = True
text                = new(dimsizes(sig),"string")
text                = sig
lon                 = (/0.5,1.5,2.5/)
lat                 = ispan(0,18,1)
txres at txFontHeightF = 0.010
txres at txJust        = "CenterCenter"
dummy = new(dimsizes(arr),graphic)
do gg = 0,2
     do hh = 0,18
          dummy(hh,gg) =
gsn_add_text(wks,plot(i),text(hh,gg),lon(gg),lat(hh),txres)
     end do
end do

(The other option to the above coding would be to create 3 arrays (lat,lon,
and text) of size 57 containing the appropriate values. Then a single call
to gsn_add_text would suffice.)

I put the above coding into my test script and I got the attached plot.
Note that if you are paneling that you will not want to overwrite the dummy
array each time through.. If you have 3 panels dummy could be an array of
size (3,19,3) instead of above where it is just a (19,3).

Hope that all helps.
Adam