[ncl-talk] curve on log-log plot goes off page

Gerard Ketefian - NOAA Affiliate gerard.ketefian at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 24 11:50:51 MDT 2015

Hi,

Running NCL version 6.3.0 on:

> uname -a
Linux tfe06 2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 27 15:55:46 EDT 2014
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

When I try make a log-log plot of a data set that has jumps in y-values
that are greater than about seven orders of magnitude, the resulting plot
goes outside the y-axis limits.

The two attached png files demonstrate a case where things work
(log_plot_ymin_1e-15.png) and a case where they don't
(log_plot_ymin_1e-16.png).  These png files were generated using the
attached script (test_log_plot.ncl).  The only difference between the two
cases is that I changed ymin from 1e-15 to 1e-16.  The problem is that in
the second case, the curve goes off the page, I guess because the
difference between the min and max y values is too large.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a bug.

Thanks.
Gerard