[ncl-talk] Set NCL to label tic marks at all beginnings and ends of map-, time series-, ..., axes?

Erik J. Schaffernicht eschaffe at uni-koeln.de
Mon Aug 17 06:22:40 MDT 2015

How can I ask NCL to label tic marks at all *beginning* and *end* of map
axes,  time series axes,...?

I use these to plot my data:
gsn_csm_contour()
gsn_csm_xy()

NCL put tic marks everywhere but labels only some of them.
Unfortunately, it only labels the beginning and end of my axes "by
chance", i.e. just if my data range fits by chance to the NCL intervals.

How can I ask NCL to label in all my plots and data ranges beginnings
and ends of my axes without having to specify these
values/coordinates/tics manually in each script?

Example:
(a)
My map goes from 10N to 80N.  NCL decides to label only two tics: At 30N
and 60N.  How can I set NCL to label 10N and 80N as well?

(b)
My time series goes from 1850 to 1870.  NCL labels 1852,
1856,...,1868.   How do I set NCL to add labels for 1850  and 1870, i.e.
start and end point? ...without doing it explicitly manually for each
data range I like to plot?