[ncl-talk] Unsigned byte in NCL 6.3.0

Abhik Santra abhiksantra at tropmet.res.in
Sun Aug 9 19:32:23 MDT 2015

Hi

I am getting a problem while reading the file "EarthMap_2500x1250.nc", probably due to Unsigned byte type.
The variables in the input file are Unsigned type and the type has been changed in NCL 6.0.0 onwards.
This generates unusual image output for topo_9.ncl in NCL 6.3.0.
Although this can be readily solved by changing the version of NCL, but how can I do the same in the latest version of NCL?

The dataset is read as:
           Band1 = where(f->Band1.gt.255, 255, f->Band1)

and the File contains the data as:
           byte Band1(lat, lon) ;
		Band1:long_name = "GDAL Band Number 1" ;
		Band1:_Unsigned = "true" ;
		Band1:valid_range = 0s, 255s ;
		Band1:_FillValue = 0b ;

Thanks in advance.