[ncl-talk] Array operation to compute average week anomalies of sst mistake

Sebastian Otarola-Bustos Sebastian.F.Otarola-Bustos.1 at nd.edu
Wed Aug 5 12:02:30 MDT 2015

Hi everybody, I'm doing very simple array operations, but it seems that NCL
doesn't agree with me, and I'm getting very wrong numbers.

Here is the code I'm refering too:

I'm trying to make a weekly average of daily sst temperatures, so sst is(
times, lat,lon), then I define a 2D array(lat,lon) , sst_avg, and
initializes with 0 , up to now everythings goes ok. But in this case, after
the orange do sst_average is still full with zeros. Finally, I'm just
trying to divide each element of sst_avg by number of times(days), so I'll
get the average. But this not work. And it's seems to be very basic error.
Any help would be really appreciated.

 sst = a->anom(:,:,:)
 printVarSummary(sst)
 times=dimsizes(sst(:,0,0))
 row  = dimsizes(sst(0,:,0))
 col  = dimsizes(sst(0,0,:))
 sst_avg = new((/row,col/),"float",0)
         do it =0,times-1
             sst_avg(:,:)=sst_avg(:,:)+sst(it,:,:)
         end do
 print(sst_avg)
 sst_avg(:,:)=sst_avg(:,:)/times    ; Calculo anomalia semanal promedio

All the best,
Sebastián.