[ncl-talk] Problem with pot_vort_isobaric function with 3D array

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 27 15:56:09 MDT 2015

Hi Kevin,

It is hard to debug this without being able to run your script and see what
the data array sizes are. Also, the line numbers mentioned in your log file
don't match with the line numbers that I see in contributed.ncl, so I'm
wondering if you added any code, like debug print statements?

What are the sizes of all the arrays being passed to pot_vort_isobaric? You
can add calls to "printVarSummary" to get this information:

printVarSummary(levels_Pa)
printVarSummary(u)
etc.

The error is coming from a call to "conform", which is a function that
conforms one array to the size of another.  The smaller array has to be a
subset in size of the larger array, otherwise it won't work.

Did you double-check the documentation to make sure you have the correct
array sizes:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/pot_vort_isobaric.shtml

Finally, which deprecated function are you referring to?

--Mary