[ncl-talk] can't seem to make my arrows bigger

Lesley Smith - NOAA Affiliate lesley.l.smith at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 24 15:20:06 MDT 2015

Hi gang,
I'm using gsn_csm_pres_hgt_vector to make a plot.
In the past it has worked great for me.

This time, I can't seem to make my arrows big enough to see
anything.  I attach a plot of contoured EP Divergence with the
corresponding 2 EP components in vector form overlaid. The components are
many orders of magnitude greater than the divergence.
I've tried changing vcRefMagnitudeF and vcRefMagnitudeF to
a variety of values and the arrows look the same.
I tried scaling the vertical component (like one of the examples on the NCL
website) to no effect.

Eventually when I make vcRefMagnitudeF too small it suddenly gives the
error:

fatal:VectorPlotDraw: VVECTR - VECTOR NDC LENGTH TOO GREAT

fatal:VectorPlotDraw: error drawing vectors

fatal:VectorPlotDraw: draw error

fatal:PlotManagerDraw: error in plot draw

fatal:_NhlPlotManagerDraw: Draw error

I'd love any suggestions!

Thanks!

-Lesley