[ncl-talk] How to shorten the distance between sub-plot without showing the tmYLLabels?

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 13 12:17:02 MDT 2015

Hi Lin,
Please always include the ncl-talk list on any replies. That way others can
assist, and future users can see the email thread when searching for
answers on the NCL site.

As you are now setting gsnPanelScalePlotIndex = 1 and your x-axis labels
are now running off of the page, I would recommend setting resp at gsnPanelTop
= 0.9, as this will tell NCL to not draw the border of the top plot above
0.9 on the NDC grid in the vertical. (The y-axis NDC grid runs from 0 at
the bottom of the drawable page to 1 at the top.) You may need to modify
0.9 to a lower value. This additional resource should work.

If it doesn't, you mentioned that you turned to modifying gsnPanelXF after
my suggestion that you use the settings in gsnPanelDebug. A setting of -1
in the gsnPanelXF setting tells NCL to place the plot where it originally
was. So if you have 4 panels and set gsnPanelXF = (/-1,0.2,0.2,0.2/),  that
tells NCL to leave the first panel placement as is in the X-direction, but
start panels 2-4 at 0.2 NDC along the x-axis. (The x-axis NDC grid runs
from 0 at the left side of the drawable page to 1 at the right.)

All that being said, I think you meant to set gsnPanelYF, as you want to
alter the spacing in the Y-direction. My best guess as to what might work:
resp at gsnPanelYF = (/0.9,0.72,0.54,0.36,0.18/). This may take some trial and
error though.
Adam

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM, 林祥 <xianglin72 at icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi, all
>

>        I made 5 plots and panel them into a figures. I don't want to show
> the Labels for the left Y Axis of these plots except for
>
> the leftmost one, however,  the distances  between these plots seem too
> large (See the attached eps files).  Anyone can help me
>
> to shorten the distance between these plots?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Lin

Adam Phillips