[ncl-talk] Modifying the output from ncl plots

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sat Apr 4 12:39:44 MDT 2015

Sang,

To get the tickmarks to point inward, try setting:

res at tmXBMajorOutwardLengthF = 0.

res at tmYLMajorOutwardLengthF = 0.

As for the title string, there can be several titles on a wrf_contour plot.
I'm not sure which one you are describing, so please see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_contour.shtml

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_map_overlays.shtml

The "Description" sections talk about title resources like "CommonTalk" and
"FieldTitle" that you can set or turn off.

Note: the wrf_xxxx plotting functions are meant to be used to get a
specific type of plot. If you want more control of your WRF plot, you may
want to consider using gsn_csm_vector and gsn_csm_contour_map in place of
wrf_contour, wrf_vector, and wrf_map_overlays. See example wrf_gsn_5.ncl
and wrf_gsn_6.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrfgsn.shtml#ex5

With these scripts, you can also set the outward length resources mentioned
above.

--Mary