[ncl-talk] NCL reading grib files

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:24:53 MDT 2014

These files have almost 600,000 bytes of non-GRIB data before the first
GRIB record is encountered in the file. This is not officially wrong
according to the GRIB spec but it is pretty unusual at least compared to
the GRIB files we usually encounter. NCL currently reads close to 500,000
bytes before it concludes that the file does not contain valid GRIB data.
Perhaps it needs to read through the whole file before reaching this
conclusion. I will create a ticket and we will address this issue.
 -dave