[ncl-talk] warning:TextItemInitialize: Cannot set x, y, width, and height

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 22 10:15:33 MDT 2014

Wenshan,

It is "dangerous" to have vpXXXX resources in your .hluresfile for the very
reason that you are seeing.  This is going to set the height and width for
every single plot that you create, which may cause unexpected results.

I believe what's happening is that when you attach text to the top of the
plot, the gsn_xxxx scripts try to resize the plot slightly so that the
titles don't run off the page.  The resizing is done with
vpHeightF/vpWidthF resources, which apparently can't be reset if you've
already set them for the plot (confusing, I know).

--Mary

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM, Wenshan Wang <wenshanw at uci.edu> wrote:

> Hi Mary,
>
> Thank you very much for the following up.
> Sorry I forgot to forward the following email to you.
>
> To sum up, I have these two lines in my .hluresfile, which cause the
> problem:
> !- canvas size: ratio of plot
> *vpHeightF  : 0.3
> *vpWidthF   : 0.8
>
> Is there a way that I can keep these two lines in .hluresfile?
> Thank you~
>
> Best,
> Wenshan

> Graduate Student Researcher