[ncl-talk] NetCDF Conventions

Carl Schreck cjschrec at ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 9 07:29:02 MDT 2014

Apologies for a slightly off-topic question, but I want to draw on the
expertise on this list.

I've noticed that many of the netCDF datasets I download, esp. those from
ESRL, have similar attributes that go beyond just CF-compliance. A few
examples:

- time is always a double instead of a float
- time is usually in units of days or hours since 1800
- _FillValue isn't zero
- The coordinate arrays are named time, level, lat, lon.

Is there a higher standard that dictates these practices? I ask here
because NCL seems to play a little nicer with these files (esp. time as a
double). My goal is to provide feedback to the data producers here at NCDC
so that they can produce netCDF files that are as easily accessible as
possible.

    Thanks!
    Carl

--

<http://www.cicsnc.org/>
<http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8711-2011>[image:
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8711-2011]
<http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8711-2011>
*Carl J. Schreck III, PhD*
*Research Associate*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: cjschrec at ncsu.edu
o: +1 828 257 3140
CycloneCenter.org: Help analyze tropical cyclones
<http://cyclonecenter.org/>
monitor.cicsnc.org/mjo: See recent MJO diagnostics
<http://monitor.cicsnc.org/mjo/>