[ncl-talk] mean value of all displayed grid points / pixel in a map

Kreienkamp Frank Frank.Kreienkamp at dwd.de
Thu Sep 4 04:25:18 MDT 2014

Yes the idea of removing all grid points that are not displayed might be an solution.

But from my current view I have several problems. The two central are:

a)      I define the plot parameter using:

   res at mpProjection                  = "Stereographic"

   res at mpCenterLatF                  = 50                 ; Centered over Germany

   res at mpCenterLonF                  = 10                 ; Centered over Germany

   res at mpLimitMode                   = "Corners"          ; choose range of map

   res at mpLeftCornerLatF              =  55.8

   res at mpLeftCornerLonF              =   2.6

   res at mpRightCornerLatF             =  45.1

   res at mpRightCornerLonF             =  19.5

So two points of the rectangle are missing. If the res at mpCenterLonF is not central, calculating the two needed points is not easy.

b)      What to do with points which are only partly drawn. I would like to have this part inside the average value. For fine grids with many points, missing few might not be an issue. With coarse grids this might produce a problem.

My hope was, that there is point when I can catch a ‘transfer array’ in the moment when the grid is transferred to the (png-) workstation, after all the projection part is done. Like there would be an matrix of points(pixel) which are displayed.

Thank for your help
Frank