[ncl-talk] error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1: cannot open shared object file:

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 23 21:17:59 MDT 2014

Dave,

What does the following report:

which ncl
ldd $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl
ls -l /lib64/libbz2*

This error usually indicates that the library in question, "bz2" in this
case, wasn't installed properly.

On the system where this version of NCL was built, the "locate libbz2"
command gives me this:

/usr/lib/libbz2.a
/usr/lib/libbz2.so
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.3

Note that we have a ".a" version and a ".so" version without any numbers
after it.

Every Linux system that I do a "locate libbz2" on has a libbz2.so file (but
not necessarily a "libbz2.a" file).  You may want to reinstall this
package, or add a soft link yourself to create the libbz2.s file:

ln -s /lib64/libbz2.so.1.0.6 /lib64/libbz2.so

--Mary