[ncl-talk] Documentation of wkSpaceTime

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Mon Oct 20 13:45:28 MDT 2014

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Diagnostics/wkSpaceTime.shtml

I found a significant issue when helping a friend this morning who is using
NCL in a minimal way to do power spectra calculations. Specifically, the
ability to write the output of the power spectra variables to netCDF via
settings of opt at netCDF, opt at filNetCDF, and opt at dirNetCDF (might not be the
right names) is the crucial feature he was looking for, but it is not
documented at all. I was able to find the relevant resources in the code
itself because I knew how to go and look at the code, but having this
particularly useful feature documented would be nice. As far as I know, he
just told me it worked successfully, so it's not a 'broken' feature.

Also an FYI to those who might be looking to do a similar task but don't
want to use the other, simpler functions to do this task. I'm sure there's
a simpler/faster way to do this with the functions that don't produce
graphical output, but my surprise was more the documentation issue here.

Kyle
Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu