[ncl-talk] labelbar on left side

David B. Reusch dreusch at ees.nmt.edu
Tue Oct 14 12:01:52 MDT 2014

I need to put a vertical labelbar on the left side of a
gsn_csm_contour_map_polar plot and it's not proving to be as
straightforward as I'd hoped.  I've managed to customize lb_19.ncl to a
point that seems promising (i.e., has the potential to work for my
actual plot script) but it seems rather clunky/fragile and I was hoping
there'd be something simpler.  (I'm also aware that lb_19.ncl uses
gsn_csm_contour_map but am not seeing that difference as part of the
problem.)

Note that I had the impression that setting pmLabelBarSide to "Left" was
all I needed to do, so that's more or less where I started (inspired by
both the Labelbar and Paneling Examples) but it seems to be ignored
(with no error or warning messages).  The attached example indicates
where I tried this.

This is NCL 6.2.1 on OS X 10.9.5.  I've attached the customized script,
a small data file and an example figure.

Thanks,
Dave

--
Associate Research Professor of Climatology
Dept of Earth and Environmental Science